200th Birkbeck Effect: Vanessa King, Lecturer in History

Vanessa  has been teaching history in higher and adult education since 1999 for Birkbeck and Goldsmiths Colleges, the Mary Ward Centre and the Workers Education Association. She is a Fellow of the  Society of Antiquaries.

A committed enthusiast for adult education, her specialisms include the history of minority groups in the middle ages and medieval travel. Her published work has dealt with Anglo-Norman ecclesiastical history, and she is currently writing a study of Anglo-Saxon queens.

One of her students says: “Vanessa King was my lecturer on my first two short course modules, studied between January – June 2020. I didn’t feel particularly confident when I commenced on my first course and felt self-doubt as to how well I would be able to cope with studying at undergraduate level, working towards a certificate in History/Archaeology. I shouldn’t have worried as I found Vanessa’s love of the subject matter infectious. The classroom round table set up also enabled everyone who wished to participate, ample opportunity to contribute. I was really pleased with the result of my first term’s assignment and used it as a springboard to improve and develop in my second term. I feel that her teaching style brought out the best in me and helped to foster my love and interest in history and to give me the confidence to continue my learning journey.”