200th Anniversary Birkbeck Effects: Mike Bintley, lecturer and personal tutor in English

Mike Bintley is a Senior Lecturer in the School of creative arts, culture and communication. 

Mike’s teaching focuses on the literature, material culture, and archaeology of medieval England and Scandinavia, with research interests in landscape, environment, settlements, and plant-life. He joined Birkbeck in 2018, after teaching at UCL, Oxford, and Canterbury Christ Church University. 

One of his BA English Foundation students says: “I struggled a lot in school with bad health and it’s taken me a while to return to education, but Mike was always compassionate and patient and I can’t fault him in the slightest. He has also won the personal tutor of the year award. If I ever had any questions or concerns, Mike was more than happy to assist, and was attentive – he seems to care deeply for his students’ welfare. I seldom waited long for a response and always felt able to reach out. On top, he is clearly passionate about his subject and any student lucky enough have him as their personal tutor is extremely privileged. He is an immeasurable asset to the university, and I hope he is aware of the impact he has left on myself and other students.” 

Share