Meet the Chevening Scholars: Immanuel Tangi Shilamo, from Namibia

In this series we profile Birkbeck’s Chevening Scholars to find out about their backgrounds, what makes them tick and their experiences while studying at Birkbeck. In this edition we get to know Immanuel Tangi Shilamo, from Namibia studying LLM Criminal Law and Criminal Justice. 

Tell us your background and what led you to studying LLM Criminal Law and Criminal Justice?  

I am a Police Officer in the Namibian Police Force. My undergraduate and honours degrees were in criminal justice, and I decided to pursue an LLM in Criminal Law and Criminal Justice because it represents a step-up on the work I have done at undergraduate and honours level. It offers a unique opportunity to integrate criminal law and criminal justice from an interdisciplinary position. This was a very attractive aspect of Birkbeck’s course for me, owing to my experience as a police officer and also coming from a criminal justice background where criminal law was one of the core modules. 

What’s the Chevening Experience been like for you? 

Applying to Chevening has been a fascinating process on the whole. From preparing essays that had to meet certain requirements to progress to the interview stage, to the waiting periods between the stages – there was a level of trepidation at every turn. But actually, every second of the application process is worthwhile when you finally get selected. I was selected after my second application.   

As a scholar, I attended the Chevening conference in Coventry and also the Peak District event in Edale. I also participated in the football match between Chevening and Commonwealth scholars in Manchester. These sorts of events have been great, because I got to meet and get to know other scholars.  

Between tight academic schedules and a busy London social life, I think my Chevening highlight is simply the fact that I have met and engaged with so many people from different backgrounds – from both intellectual and literal perspectives. Everyone has come from all over the world and is studying something different and fascinating.   

What advice would you give to future Chevening scholars?  

Make the best of your year in the UK. Time really flies. Before you know it, you are booking your flight back home. Therefore, when you get a chance, expand your circle, make friends, engage with new people. But don’t forget your purpose for coming to the UK either! Prioritise your schoolwork as much as possible. 

How about your Birkbeck experience?  

The highlight at Birkbeck has been the quality of the education. The delivery of the modules really stands out. The demonstration of the depth of knowledge by the tutors and module convenors is very clear to see and understand. Also, the diversity of module topics and how they were offered was impressive. Birkbeck created a highly intellectually stimulating environment for me. 

What plans do you have for the future?  

After completing my studies, I plan to return to my home country and share the knowledge and experience I gained while studying in the UK, both with my colleagues in the Namibian Police Force and also generally with the criminal justice community in Namibia. Through this, I am hoping to contribute to the goals and aspirations of the Namibian Police Force in particular, and the criminal justice system at large. 

What would you say to someone thinking of applying to Birkbeck? 

You don’t need a second invitation. Birkbeck will not only serve as an intellectually stimulating knowledge hub, but you will also enjoy the convenience of evening education, which offers you time to expand your horizons and get to experience the best of both social and academic life on offer in London.  

More information: