The BGRS is pleased to announce the 2022 Birkbeck 3 Minute Thesis Competition, which will take place on Thursday 16 June from 6pm. Please mark this date in your diaries! This will be the first competition to have taken place in person since 2019.
Birkbeck 3MT: Thursday 16 June 2022
Join a selection of Birkbeck PhD students as they compete to communicate their compelling thesis topics in just three minutes. This event is a fantastic opportunity to share and celebrate the interests and successes of PhD researchers from across the College and we invite all current Birkbeck PhD students to take part. The winner of the Birkbeck competition will be chosen by an expert panel of judges who will award:
- £500 to the overall winner
- £250 to the runner up
- The audience will also have their say by picking a people’s choice winner who’ll win a special prize.
As part of our support for the competition, a free programme of training sessions has been arranged. All potential 3MT competitors should attend these sessions. However, any or all of them are open to any doctoral researcher at Birkbeck who would like to gain skills in these areas:
- Session 1: An introduction to 3MT and how to present a lightning talk – Thursday 5 May 11:00-12:00
- Session 2: How to break down your PhD into a lightning talk – Thursday 12 May 11:00-13:00
- Session 3: Presenting Skills – Thursday 19 May 11:00-13:00
What is it like to take part in 3MT?
You can read more about what it was like to take part in the 2018 and 2019 3MT competitions in the following BGRS blog posts:
- Cathy Rogers
- Keith Jarrett (2018 Winner)
- Gabriella McGrogan (2019 winner)
- Janette Leaf (2019 Runner Up)
This is an international event and the Birkbeck winner will have the opportunity to continue on to the UK semi-finals later in the year.